On February 3, 2023, the EUEA together with UVEA, UAVE, ASEU, the leading associations of the renewable energy sector of Ukraine sent a joint letter to the President of Ukraine, the Prime Minister of Ukraine, the Minister of Energy of Ukraine, and MPs regarding the current problems and development of the renewable energy industry.
Full letter: 3.02.2023 RES Associations letter
In the letter, the associations asked to ensure the continuity of legally established guarantees for investors in the field of RES, facilitate the resolution of important issues for the activities of RES producers and creation of the favourable conditions for the further development of the industry, namely:
- Ensure the adoption of program documents for the development of the renewable energy sector, in particular, the National Action Plan for the Development of Renewable Energy until 2030 and the Energy Strategy until 2050;
- Ensure the adoption of draft law №8191 as of November 8, 2022 regarding the amendments to certain laws of Ukraine on the extension of the commissioning period of renewable energy facilities under the power purchase agreements at the feed-in tariff agreements concluded before December 31, 2019;
- Support the initiatives of the Associations regarding changes to the legislation, which will allow producers to restore RES facilities in the shortest possible time and with the use of modern equipment and to produce electricity under acceptable conditions;
- Ensure the earliest adoption of amendments to the legislation with the aim of introducing and circulating guarantees of origin of electricity produced from RES, in particular, the adoption of the Draft Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Laws of Ukraine on the Implementation of the Register of Issuance, Use and Termination of the Guarantees of Origin of Electricity Produced from Renewable Energy Sources”;
- Ensure the review and implementation of the tariff for the electricity transmission services at the level that will cover all the necessary reasonable costs of NPC “Ukrenergo” from the second quarter of 2023;
- Ensure settlements with renewable energy producers for the delivered electricity at the feed-in tariff and for the load reduction service, unblock the signing of delivery-acceptance certificates for July-December 2022 between SE “Guaranteed Buyer” and NPC “Ukrenergo” for the service of ensuring the increase of electricity production shares from renewable energy sources;
- Ensure the approval of amendments to the formula for calculating the imbalances of RES producers, taking into account the decision of the Supreme Court of Ukraine dated September 8, 2022.
Associations emphasize that the RES sector doesn’t require additional financial support or subventions from the state, but strives to receive those funds for the supplied electricity, which are provided for by the current legislation of Ukraine. RES investors and facility operators have a professional understanding of the sector’s opportunities to alleviate the energy crisis and strive to strengthen Ukraine’s energy security and create a new energy future.
The Associations express their willingness to cooperate and assist in communications with representatives of the Government, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine and the Office of the President
, as well as with European partners for the sake of strengthening energy security and ensuring sustainable development of Ukraine.