2021 turned out to be rich in events and signed agreements that will determine the development of the world for a long time and will determine Ukraine’s priorities in the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Among the main international events and agreements, EUEA highlights:
- July 2021. REGULATION OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL establishing a Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism (CBAM) was published.
- October 2021, Joint statement following the 23rd EU-Ukraine Summit.
- October 2021, The agreement on the contribution between Ukraine and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development regarding Ukraine’s participation in the Fund was ratified by the Law of Ukraine of October 21, 2021. The E5P fund for Ukraine is EUR 137.5 million, which can be used in conjunction with loans from international financial institutions to support investment in energy efficiency projects to upgrade infrastructure, including district heating and public buildings.
- November 2021, COP26 summit, documents to which Ukraine has joined:
- Climate Pact, signed by delegations from almost 200 countries, where, among other things, the document recognizes the need to reduce global carbon emissions by 45% by 2030 compared to 2010 and to zero – by 2050.
- Global initiative to reduce methane emissions by 2030 by 30%.
- Coalition Powering Past Coal Alliance, on the abandonment of coal until 2035.
- Ukraine has pledged to end deforestation by 2030.
- Ukraine plans to achieve carbon neutrality by 2060.
- December 2021. The summit of the EU and the EU’s eastern partners adopted a joint declaration calling for the creation of an “associated trio” format for Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia.
Strategic documents of Ukraine:
- March 2021, National Economic Strategy 2030 – share of RES 25%.
- July 2021, the second national defined contribution by 2030 is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 35% compared to 1990.
- August 2021, Energy security strategy.
- December 2021, National Action Plan on Energy Efficiency by 2030.
- Energy Strategy of Ukraine until 2050
- Decarbonization Plan.
- Integrated National Energy and Climate Plan until 2030.
- National Renewable Energy Action Plan until 2030.
- Hydrogen strategy of Ukraine until 2030.
💥 More details in the EUEA Monthly Monitoring: https://euea-energyagency.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Renewable-Energy-of-Ukraine_Monthly-Monitoring_December_2021-1.pdf